Saturday, March 28, 2009

Block Head

I finished another one of these berets.

Here's how I block them. I don't know that my technique is 'correct', but it seems to work pretty well.

I fill a spray bottle with water and grab one or two hand towels.

I fold the hand towels so that they approximate the desired shape of the hat. Then I place one or two towels inside the hat so that the hat is filled up, without any gaps.
I spray the hat generously with water and leave it to dry.

I like to block my hats this way so that they have a nice shape when they sit on the head.

If you have favorite technique for blocking hats, please share!! I would love to hear about it.

Instead of making the hat all one color I used a contrasting color for the brim and the top of the hat. Partly planned and partly out of necessity, one skein of Manos is not enough to make the entire hat.

The dark blue yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky. I used seed stitch instead of the rib stitch.

The variegated yarn is Manos Del Uruguay Heavy Worsted Wool in 'Autumn'.

I didn't want this hat to be as big and floppy as the first one, so I knit only 4"( instead of 5") of the stitch pattern.

P.S. The title of this post does not refer to my lovely model.

4 comments:

BeadedTail said...

I've never thought of how to block a hat before so I found this very interesting! I love the colors and style of that hat and sure wished I looked good in hats!

Amy Esther said...

Very nice hat! I've done felted ones before where I made the hat huuuge and then put it through the washing machine. It came out very fitted and nice! But I've never had to block a hat before... good to know...

Susan said...

I've struggled a few times blocking hats, this is a really good way to do it! Thanks for sharing that. It's much better than anything I've come up with.

maryeb said...

Thanks.
I tried this because when I've block them flat I ended up with funny little pointy corners.