Monday, March 9, 2009

Out of the Box

I find a lot of comfort in the status quo, but I also appreciate the learning that comes from challenges.

Challenge #1: Create an ACEO
I can't draw or paint, not even stick figures, so when I saw that my BBEST etsy team's monthly challenge was to create an ACEO I turned to what I know - 2 sticks and a ball (of yarn).

Coincidentally, I stumbled upon SupaCindy's blog which led me to my next challenge.

Challenge #2: Project Spectrum

Started by a knitter*, but not limited to knitting, Project Spectrum participants create art according to themes that change every few months. For March/April the color is green and the materials are stones, gems, rocks.

Challenge #3: Stash Only!!!
I don't know why but every time I start a new project I almost always seem to need to buy something new/more. Not this time :)

Sooooooo

I hand-knit a 2.5" x 3.5" 'card' using two shades of green yarn and a metallic for a bit of glitz and glam.

I wanted my ACEO to be more than just a pretty face so, I made a pin. Hand-formed of brass wire and embellished with a green turquoise stone and copper wire decoration.

But wait! There's more.


I love dangles and charms and wanted to add some to the pin. I thought it would be even better if the charms were removable so they could be worn as a necklace. And so they are. A lavender chalcedony and a coin pearl are strung on a handcrafted cord and attached to the back of the ACEO.



This is my very first ACEO. I hope it meets the recipient's expectations.

*Thanks Lollyknitting!

6 comments:

SupaCindy3000 said...

Very cool, I like how you incorporated the stones! And I'm excited to see my blog posted about! Woo hoo!!!

Susan said...

Very clever to combine all of that into one really nice thing. Good job!

uniquecommodities said...

very nice! love the colors

Memories for Life said...

Super cool...they're gonna love it!

TiLT said...

love it! That is one of the great things about ACEOs...they can be anything that reflects you & your style...including your media :)

BeadedTail said...

Very creative and it turned out wonderful!