Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thyme for You


Growing Herbs in Pots
I love using fresh herbs in my cooking. Fresh herbs seem to make a dish pop with flavor in a way that dried herbs just can't quite match. I had always wanted an herb garden right outside of my kitchen. Unfortunately right outside of my kitchen door is a deck and just beyond that is a very shady area. This is not great for growing herbs which are full sun loving plants.
Not to be deterred I decided to try and grow a few herbs in pots. Despite the fact that the deck gets about 1 to 2 hours of full sun and the rest of the time only partial sun, I have been able to grow basil, thyme and mint. The plants don't get very big (a plus with mint which can take over a whole yard with its unbridled enthusiasm for growth) but they are enough to add that yummy fresh herb flavor when I want it.

I found a number of sites explaining how to grow herbs in pots. I liked this site for its brief, easy to understand instructions. http://www.gardening-guides.com/herbs/container-growing-herbs.php
This site gives a bit more detailed information.
http://www.gardenclub.net/herbsCont.htm

I prefer to buy herb plants rather than plant them from seed. I think I am successful in growing the herbs when they already have a head start.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Your herbs look fantastic! We don't have great sun areas either, we'll have to try potting some herbs as well.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I prefer to buy the plant too. The seeds are such a hassle!