Monday, February 23, 2009

Warm and Spicy


Ethiopian Spicy Tomato Lentil Stew Recipe.
I made this stew and served it over orzo pasta. It was really yummy, a flavorful spicy not hot and easy to make.

As usual I made a few substitutions.
- red lentils instead of brown
I don't like using more than one pan so I wanted to cook the ingredients all together. I had heard (maybe on Food Network) that it's not good to boil spices for a long time. Red lentils cook more quickly than the brown, plus I like how they look.

- canned, no salt added diced tomatoes for the fresh tomatoes.
It is winter and canned have a much better taste and they are easier - open the can and dump.

- little slivers of ginger instead of grated
I like the little burst of ginger flavor as I'm eating the stew. It's such a lovely surprise for the taste buds.

- freshly grated black pepper for the cayenne.

- no fenugreek
I don't have any and didn't want to buy it. This stew has a long list of spices and I figured it wouldn't be missed.