Friday, June 13, 2008

Fruit and Yogurt Salad


Lunch Salad Recipe
I saw this lovely recipe in the May 2008 Vegetarian Times Magazine for a fruit and yogurt salad and decided it would be a great lunch. The recipe calls for a mint simple syrup. While this sounded delicious, I didn't really have the time or desire to make it. I thought the unadorned sweetness of the fruit with the vanilla yogurt would be nice. And it was. I especially liked the flavor of the pineapple with the yogurt. It reminded me of the taste of those fruit salads made with marshmallows, whipped cream and mayo, but healthier!
I also changed some of the fruit, choosing strawberries and raspberries and a D'anjou pear for it's green color. I think cubes of cantalope might also be a nice substitute.

Using Flaxseeds
Ground flaxseeds are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids. I haven't found any great way to grind them. I bought a spice mill but the seeds are so small that most of them fall through whole. A mortar and pestle works but definitely takes a bit of muscle and time. For this recipe I crushed the seeds a bit in the mortar but mainly sprinkled them on whole.
A dusting of cinnamon would also be good if you are like me and love cinnamon.
I'm thinking I might try and make a simple syrup using some of the mint tea I have. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Fruit and Yogurt Lunch Salad (4 servings)

1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, cubed
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1 medium D'Anjou pear, cubed
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1 (6 oz.) container fat-free vanilla yogurt
2 tsp. ground flax seeds
ground cinnamon

Combine the fruit together in a large bowl. Divide the fruit among 4 small bowls. Top with a dollop of yogurt. Sprinkle with flax seeds and cinnamon.
Enjoy:)

8 comments:

MK Beads said...

This sounds so yummy! I saw you in the Etsy forums, going to check out your shop now! Lovely start to a new blog :)

woolies said...

YUM. I love to find recipes on blogs...I should do that too!
yummmmmmmy

adina said...

That sounds delicious! I heard that omega 3 fatty acid is good for not falling asleep at 3:00 in the afternoon (while at work! lol) so I'm going to have to try that! Thanks for sharing it!

joon said...

This is beautiful, Mary! I actually had a similar version of this for breakfast! GMTA! :)

Zuda Gay Pease said...

YUM!! I found some years ago that a cheap electric coffee grinder works wonderfully on flax seed. I love ground flax mixed with peanut butter on toast.

maryeb said...

Thanks, Zuda. I'll try a coffee grinder. Not that I couldn't use the exercise grinding those babies by hand:)
I'll definitely try the peanut butter.

Lot-O-Choc said...

Ooh wow this looks delicious!
Will defo have to try it sometime.

Mandy said...

I just got some flax seeds, this looks like a fabulous light lunch for tomorrow. Thanks!!:)