Saturday, August 9, 2008

Refresh - ing Cookbook



Refresh Cookbook
With the plan of eating healthier, I bought a new cookbook. Of course I will use any excuse to buy a new book. I love books.

Refresh is written by Ruth Tal and Jennifer Houston, partners in Toronto's Fresh Restaurant. The Quick Protein Salad caught my attention. Quick and a salad with protein - sounded just right!

Quick Protein Salad Recipe - Critique

It was definitely quick and easy to put together.
I used flame raisins from Whole Foods Market and really thought they complimented the flavor of the marinated tempeh. I also liked the flavor of the spinach and the crunch of the sunflower seeds.

I didn't like the flavor combination created by the other vegetables. I think some chopped apple and fresh basil leaves would be good substitutes. And I plan to use these the next time I make this salad.

Stir-frying the cucumber before adding it to the salad sounds like a tasty option as well. I never thought of stir-frying cucumber but saw the idea here. I think it is an intriguing idea.

Another Healthy Recipe
Want another idea?
Here is another recipe that I like very much that also uses tempeh.

No comments: